20 Apr 2010

My First Ever DIY Fashion Project!



Hi I'm really excited, because today marks the first in a series of DIY fashion projects that I will be sharing with you all, here on My Passport to Style!


I guess by now, most of you gal's know animal print is scorching hot at the moment!Todays DIY fashion project uses a thrifted animal print pinafore style dress and an old pair of faux leather embelished sandals, total cost £4.00 to make a suave animal tote, but you could use any pinafore dress, with a pretty print on the front, think flowers, stripes ect!


 To Make Your quick sew, Animal Tote, Using No Pattern What So Ever! You Will Need The Following:

1. A thrifted or old strappy dress with a great print
2.A thrifted or old pair of embelished faux leather sandals or smokey faux crystals
3.A pair of sissors
4.Needle and thread in a colour approriate to the background colour of the print
5.darning needle and thread or fabric glue


                                                                                  










Step 1. Take the dress and turn it inside out



step 2. Next turn the dress on its side and bring the two shoulder straps together so they are lined up.


Step 3. Lift the hem of the skirt up and continue to pull  the outer fabric of the dress up over the lining of the skirt till just the base of the dress straps are showing.

 


Step 4. Now that you have your tote shape, pin the base of the bag fabric together and sew across the base edge of your tote in a suitable thread colour. Then sew the the underside of the dress just beneath the arm holes to the outerside of the skirt hem.



To finish off, I thought it would be nice to glue or sew smokey crystals either onto the handles or the front of the tote itself.I decided to cut up a old pair of sandals and use the leather to add dimension and to create a feature across
 the front of my tote. What do you think of my bespoke animal print tote?? 




I would love to see your photo's, if you decide to make your own quick tote from an old strappy dress, remember it works better if the straps are not too thin, i.e spaghetti strap's. Happy making! 
                                  
                                     

29 comments:

Anna White said...

Oh Sharon...arent you super clever..what an awesome idea...Hmmm...now to find that frock that I just dont wear anymore...but can wear over my shoulder ; ) Thanks for sharing x

Unknown said...

Such a creative way of giving a second life to a garment. :-))) My hat is off to you!:-)

JESSICA said...

youre doing great!!!
such an inspiration!

thanks for sharing!
xx

Unknown said...

Oooh - you make it look so easy!!!!

Blair McLeod said...

what an awesome idea & great execution! way to go!!

thank for featuring me. I LOVE that dress too... perhaps i'll find and excuse to buy it! :) (btw, was the dress button supposed to link to me?)

have a fabulous day!! so glad i found your blog & became a follower (during your top shelf giveaway)

blair

Stephanie @ La Dolce Vita said...

That is so creative! I have to say I am impressed - I couldn't figure out how you meant to do it in the beginning, but you wowed me again!

Liv said...

That's so creative! I wish I could sew. I lose a button and run to Mommy. Which wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't 31 years old.
http://idlefascination.blogspot.com/

Chronicles of Dolliedaydream said...

Wowzer Sharon this is cool - I wish I had enough patience to make more things instead of lusting after goodies I cant afford! Have popped you an e-mail re Saturday it would be super to see you if you are free xxx

VM Creation Atelier said...

Hello,Sharon!-)*

Such a beaautiful idea and really great inspiration!

Hugs,
***Violetta***

beachvintage.com said...

I love ballet flats, I have a cupboard full of them.

o said...

awesome job, sharon! it turned out great!:) i have an award for u on my blog. have a great week!

TheOwlsCloset.blogspot.com

Barbara von Enger said...

Sharon, you should know that I cannot sew to save my life. Am creative in other ways. But I enjoyed your step by step DIY Fashion Project;-)
xx

un petit lapin said...

What a great idea! I still don't think I'm skilled enough to attempt something like that though haha.

Also, high five for being an Aries blogger from the NW! I was reading your profile and your job sounds so fun and interesting!

Eri said...

Hi Sharon,

Sorry it took me a while to reply. Your fisrt attempt to DIY came out really good. Well done.

Yes, of course we can exchange links!

See you soon.

Amy T said...

ooo sucha great DIY.
creative! x

My Passport to Style said...

Just so none of you gals are under any illusion that this tote is hard to make!This is a really easy project honnestly! As long as you can do running stitch, to sew the bottom section together and join the top section of the inner and outer layer of fabric together. The sides and handles are all done for you, there is no cutting out to do! It probably took me 1 hour,I used fabric glue to put the embellishments on the front.Give it a go, find an old short dress with straps and let me know how you get on! Sharon xx

soph // and other things said...

This is such a crafty idea!

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

WOW, well done lady! NO way do I have the skills to attempt something like that. Ah ha ha

Unknown said...

What a great idea! Looks so good! Have a sweet day!

muchlove said...

what a clever idea!! I LOVE the idea of recycling/reusing fashion items, and this is just terrific. Thanks for sharing :)

Anonymous said...

What a great DIY project. I just might tackle this one over the weekend with my niece. She really loves a good sewing project. xo mish

www.themishdish.blogspot.com

Josie said...

This is so clever! I so wish I had any kind of crafty talent because I could NEVER be this creative!
Thank you so much for stopping by my blog and for your sweet comment! Yours is absolutely lovely -- can't wait for more!
xxoo Josie
http://winksmilestyle.blogspot.com

VIPXO said...

what a brill idea!

Jaime @ laviejaime said...

Bravo! What a way to recycle :)

Marta said...

this is such a fantastic idea! you have inspired me!

Megan and Kristin said...

Love it! I must get a sewing machine asap!

Fashion Pad said...

INGENIOUS!!!!! I love it :-)

Jolie said...

Wow, I am impressed! How unique and wonderful! Way to recycle an old dress and sandal!
xoxo

Krysten @ Why Girls Are Weird said...

My gosh was a great idea! How smart are you!?

fashionable frolickers

This chic little rectangle is just waiting to be filled with your thoughts ....