22 Oct 2009

Style Dispensary - Featuring Carols Style Dilemma



 Hi there, welcome back to another exciting Style Dispensary.This weeks Style Dilemma comes from the lovely Carol, a uk My Passport to Style follower. Carol had been struggling with how to adapt her Wardrobe due to recently gaining a stone in weight following illness, she emailed asking me for Style Advice around her Winter Wardrobe in particular she wanted Style guidance on how to find a winter coat that would take her from day to evening.Her brief was berry and olive colours,she wanted a hood if possible, she is keen on 1940s styles with a nipped in waist and UK companies Fat Face and White Stuff that showcase classic Styles, featuring retro prints.She also mentioned that she felt her chest was quite heavy, so obviously wanted to minimise this. Quite a tall order!

  It can be quite a challange to find a coat with a hood that can allows you to make the transisition from day to evening effortlesly and still look stylish wearing a dress or skirt!The 1940s Styles Carol loves, don't generally feature hoods.So here are some of the Styles I chose for Carol that fulfil her desire for berry colours. A hooded option that is sooo chic, coat styles that slim the bust and tummy and a few other picks to give her a head start on her winter wardrobe this season. I think perhaps though it would be great for her to invest in a Stylish  hat, to extend her range of options when choosing a coat, as I know she hates brollys and British winters are generally wet and windy !



 I adore this  berry raincoat from Redoute, simple Styling great colour and a subtle but pretty pattern take the stress out of dressing up or down.Carol could team with these miltary chocolate boots from Ruche, jeans and a olive scarf for a casual look or switch the belt for an Obi belt such as these sophisticated quilted ones featured here for full on glamour for the evening and a dress or even introduce some black leather, which would look amazing with the berry!
This boiled wool coatigan in taupe again Redoute, might not be in the berry or olive colours that Carol loves, but its classic styling (chocolate piping, shawl collar) fabric and colour make it not only flattering, BUT SO EASY to transition  from casual to evening. Wear with an Obi belt for evening and a  skinny wrap around belt for day time like the leather version featured here, quality matters, buy the best you can afford, or go vintage!  
Option three for Carol was this apple green wool coat from her favourite company The White Stuff, chosen again for its classic flattering line, single buttons are by far the best option for bigger busts, as they don't draw attention to where its not welcome! I couldn't resist picking out a few smart casual pieces that would work well with this range of looks.The key here is simple cuts and layering longer light weight pieces over one another, which will elongate the figure and slim, whilst keeping the cold out! Sxxx






P.S follow me? email or post me your Style Dilemma/Questions to sharonstyle@fsmail.net and if your lucky it could get chosen and feature here! xx

30 comments:

Unknown said...

What a fabulous post, it is good to see a direction towards people like Carol, and me, who have put weight on due to illnes. I put 2 stones on very suddenly due to treatments and I found finding the right clothes terribly hard. luckily now , I seem to be losing a little of it now, and in a couple of weeks finally come off my pills, so....!!! Thanks for you comment on my blog! Suzie. xxx

Kate said...

Oooh, Carol, go for the green one, it's gorgeous! I'm another who has put on weight due to illness and medications, so thanks for approaching the subject and suggesting ideas to help solve our 'problem areas'. Love your blog, thanks for your lovely comment on mine,

Kate x

Maria Confer said...

Oh, such excellent advice. I love your picks for Carol!

lululetty.blogspot.com

Jaime @ laviejaime said...

Love all these!!! Makes me want to shop. Yes, send me your button please :) Not sure how to grab it from your site?

Anonymous said...

Love all of these.Im the jeans and boots girl, cause over a few years I have lost alot of weight.After my husband died I had surgery for thyroid cancer so its been 7 years all is good.I decided then and there I would eat better and less.Thanks for sharing this,have a great day Sharon!

Joyce said...

like the belt

http://sayang-j.blogspot.com/

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

Most delicious advice lady. Dying over that berry raincoat!

Mise said...

That green coat is quite a find - a delicate colour amid all the 80s madness, and that chic large collar with its insouciant flip.

koralee said...

You are at it again my dear...giving us poor souls wonderful fashion advice. I do love all your picks!!!

By the way what is a stone in pounds??? I have always wondered that? It seems so ancient that the word stone is still use..I should know that because I am a teacher!

Also thank you for wanting a wee little note from me...I will get one in the mail by next week! xoxoxox What fun snail mail!!!

bananas. said...

i'm obsessed with that coat and that last image! great advice.

beachvintage.com said...

I just love those Obi belts. have a great weekend.

Valencia Lia said...

I love love the green coat !! And what great advice you gave Sharon :)

Always love love these posts !

Unknown said...

love the jeans and boots - wish I had longer legs though.

Unknown said...

LOVE the berry raincoat!! I can see myself wearing that (except it never rains where I live)!!! Great pics - thanks!

Emily Cato said...

The greeeeen!

I also love those boots!

nicole mountz said...

oh this is a great post. what an awesome idea, too. and those brown boots at the end.. oh dear. i think i just fell in love.

The Pocket Stylist said...

I love the purple 40's hat!

Chicago Chic said...

Love your blog! This post is great - I especially like that belt!

xoxo
Rachel

Angela said...

great advice. have a fabulous weekend.

Amelia said...

Thank you so much for your kind comment. I know England beautiful I am actually english and go there every oportunity I get =).
I'll have to start following your blog too. It so pretty =D

Jane said...

Sharon! Thanks for compliment!
I with pleasure read your blog! I adore all these beautiful things.
Russian beautiful and very difficult for studying.

Vicki said...

Hello, Sharon,
You have excellent taste, and I love all the fashions you have chosen for Carol. I especially love the apple green coat, so stylish and pretty! I am also drawn to the blue obi belt. Such a wonderful color of blue. She will look fantastic, I think, in any of the styles you have chosen for her. Thank you for stopping by for a visit and for your sweet comments. Have a beautiful weekend! Vicki

koralee said...

Just me again Sharon....I have tagged you...only play if you want too...it is quiet fun! xoxoxo Come visit my blog!

Dream Sequins said...

Hi Sharon

What a fantastic feature you have here-- I know I could definitely use style help myself, as I get stuck in a style rut now and then. Lovely discovering your blog. I'll definitely be back for a visit!

xx D

Unknown said...

ohhh i love all of these especially that hat!

Missy
For all things fashion:
http://thefashionfusion.blogspot.com

Marla Singer said...

oh my.. i want that hat! it's so cute <33

Drahos család Brüsszelben said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Girl said...

Love the green coat. I always hate shopping for a winter coat but need to get myself out there soon and find one for the walk in and out of work each day!

The Pocket Stylist said...

Hey do you want to exchange links? Oh and I love the purple hat!

Duchess of Tea said...

Hello Sharon darling, I have missed you so much!!! I thank you from the bottom of my heart for your kind wishes for my dad's speedy recovery, you are so kind. I am one lucky girl to have you as a friend; you truly are the gem in my teacup. I am now off to stroll around your blog to see what I have missed.

Love & Hugs
Duchess

fashionable frolickers

This chic little rectangle is just waiting to be filled with your thoughts ....